The airport that serves Bangalore, India, is Kempegowda International Airport (BLR). This airport is one of the busiest and newest in India.
The Kempegowda International Airport, also called the Bangalore (BLR) Airport, has been open since May 2008.
In the year ending March 2023, the airport served 31.91 million people, with 28.12 million coming from within the United States and 3.78 million from other countries.
It is the third-largest airport in India and the biggest airport in South India.
The new airport, which replaced the old HAL Bangalore International Airport, is in Devanahalli, 40 km from Bengaluru, India. It covers 4,000 acres of land.
Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) planned, built, owns, and runs India's first airport owned and run by a private company.
The airport construction started in July 2005, and the first part of the project, first thought of in 1993, began after many talks between the government and the airport authority.
Some last-minute changes were made to the design of the terminal and airport in late 2005 to account for more people who were going to be visiting when they opened in 2008.
A new traffic estimate from June 2005 was used to change the plans for the airport project.
The redesign increased the size of the passenger terminal building, the number of aircraft stands, taxiways, passenger boarding bridges, and the main entry road. This will allow the airport to handle the increased traffic that is expected in the coming years.
In its outline growth plan, the Bangalore International Airport Area Planning Authority said that no new construction would be allowed in Doddaballapur, Devanahalli, or Vijayapura, which are on the city's edges and have natural river valley networks.
BIAL thinks that by 2028, the airport will have 60 million visitors annually.
Bengaluru is widely recognized as the Silicon Valley of the nation and is home to many important scientific centers. Many people who write about business have said repeatedly that Bengaluru needs an international airport to continue to be successful in both the business and tourism industries.
The airport was originally meant to handle 3.5 million people a year, but it was later changed to take 12 million people. Because of the redesign, the airport got bigger, more airplane stands rearranged taxiways, and another infrastructure was added.
Private investors own 74% of BIAL, and the state owns the other 26%. Siemens, Zurich Airport, and Larsen and Toubro, all from outside India, worked together on the project. All three of these businesses have shares in the project, but the AAI would still be in charge of running it and making sure the money is spent wisely.
Zurich Airport sold GVK Power & Infrastructure (GVKPIL) a 12% share in the airport for $98.5 million in November 2009. Larsen and Toubro gave GVKPIL 17% of the company in December 2009, and Siemens gave them another 14% in October 2011.
The project is owned by AAI (13%), the Karnataka Government (13%), Unique Zurich Airport (5%), Siemens Project Ventures (26%), and GVKPIL (43%).
The passenger terminal is a single, four-story building that can handle local and international flights. The retail storage, restrooms, and services are all in the basement.
There is a modern, easy, straight-ahead flow system between the places where people come in and go out. The design is made to be simple and doesn't need much maintenance.
The floor area is 73,347m² all together. When it's busy, the main house can fit 2,300 people. The plan is based on the best ways to do things in the business and lets the company run no matter the weather, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All of the buildings follow the rules set by IATA.
There are 53 check-in counters with tools that anyone and 18 self-check-in counters can use. A new VIP room opened on the first floor of the terminals on January 21, 2011.
The airport has eight air bridges, one with a double arm, and forty gates. There are also nine remote bus stops. There are 42 stands for planes, each with a fueling pit.
A parking lot with room for 2,000 cars was built on the ground floor in front of the terminal building.
Currently, the airport only has one track that can fit all kinds of planes, even the Airbus A380. The runway faces 09/27 and is 4,900m (16,076ft) long and 45m (150ft) wide. It has light- paved sides, making it 60m (200ft) long.
In December 2019, a second runway began to be used. It is the first airport in the country with parallel runways, which let planes land and take off simultaneously.
We talked about Kempegowda International Airport Bangalore above. Plans call for a new runway 1500 meters north of the present one. This will help the airport handle more air traffic as it grows. The third runway, the "New North Parallel Runway," is meant to make air travel less crowded. Along with this, the airport has been asked to add a third passenger building. It will likely start being built in 2024 and be done in the late 2030s.